Putting Holes In Happiness (Marilyn Manson Essay)

Kneel down humble men and become the height of our children. Let your heart crawl into your knee and realize that all knowledge lives through imagination. This is the nursery business, always get a photocopy.

Our cultures may continue to disintegrate but we just rebuild with abusement parks, filming the process and replaying it as situation comedy. We wear ribbons, hold hands, celebrate and concentrate on camps that train our kindergartens to shout out "star-spangled" banter.

We will medicate the lunacy of "degenerate" art with heavy doses of old-fashioned (original recipe) family virtues.

"Let's make sure all of these offensive forms of entertainment are shown publicly, and burned immediately as a warning to us all!"

In the meantime, try to stay conscious. We are sitting in the EMERGENCY ROOM waiting for the doctor, a newly elected aesthetician, to come and pronounce his diagnosis. The grotesque, malignant cancer that is our expressions and our views is no longer the disease. We are being told that the sounds and images of art are now the symptoms of the creator. We as the artists, are now considered unhealthy and incurable.

Let me remind you that the deformed scar of one man, is "love's pretty dimple" to me. The generation that lived through WWII accepted the concept of "total violence" as a solution to the world's problems. The mathematics of creative suffering and the milk of human violence are the formulas that our grandparents bottled and passed down to our parents.

These are the "traditional" values that have built "protective," moral walls around our children's world. And it is, indeed, a small world after all.

MM



Monday, June 21, 2010

All Hope Is Gone (An Essay Set To The Album All Hope Is Gone by Slipknot, Written on 6/21/10 by me on a long hard drive)


Turn away. Let me walk away with my scars, bleeding and broken. This world never reserved a place for me, and it will never kneel on bended knee to me. Throw me upon your sharp swords, I can't know what I don't deserve. Look at what we have created. A god infesting piles of trash we call our greatest cities. All revolutions become products, thrown away into the endless piles of green paper. We will burn your cities down.

Outside looking in. Cast down and trampled. I stand awake, in the crowd and yet by the way side. Falling apart and burning the pieces. Like breathing in sulfur.

A boy apart, feeding the monster he has called his own. The walls will crumble against our backs. Our world was yesterday, and today we fill in the cracks of this new disaster. A portrait bleeding, staining the inhabitants of today and cursing the sons of tomorrow. They can't see but Stephen stands within me. The limits of the dead.

Our memories waste away, dying in the crevices of the boy I was yesterday, an eve ago. My scars bleed, never existing and never clotting. Put them away in rusty boxes covered with the same skin you wore for so many years. Dead memories in my heart.

My heart knows no chains. Burn my body and my soul will spit in your face. I shouldn't be smiling but hate is a knot on my joker's mask. Let's pretend that we have nothing left.

We're not ready but we still pretend. Didn't we learn this before? Freedom has changed the world, but in a new misdirection, the plans have changed and I'll follow my own people. We have a choice this time. Disagree and disappear, I'm giving up again.

I feel pain, but I can't stand the thought of feeling anything else. Bite into me, make me believe in the way that I feel. I feel the wind rushing but I don't believe in it, I must have forgotten where I woke up this morning. Suffer with me in my heart and we'll lock ourselves in and throw away the key. Laugh into my bones and fake your love so you can drown me. I can't deny, you were designed for my punishment.

Bleeding through on the long way home. Create, cast away, reuse, becoming an excuse. We live our lives again.

The world won't change, we've bled it to death. Save us, the orphans, eat our seconds and devour time. Can we be stronger this time? We have to save ourselves.

Sorrow fills my eyes. This time I can't stand up. I can't leave this cage. And my rage is a smile and a solitary tear. Run away this time, I can't care. You ripped it all to shreds, you loved this time. Leave me alone, I'll only hurt myself. I'm sold and you're saved, you ran away and left me alone. If you still care then never let me know.

Rage returns and our souls burn. We are yesterday, and our way is of the hopeless. We'll leave this world, we'll leave their hope. We'll end this world, because the only world is our own. This time, our hate is alive and well. This time all hope is gone.


(Note: All words in italics are taken from songs in All Hope is Gone. The quotes are in order of the tracklist)

No comments:

Post a Comment